Your Premier Choice for Project Management Excellence in United Arab Emirates
Project Management Professional Exam Guide ( PMP )
Project Management Institute (PMI) was founded in 1969 in Pennsylvania, USA. In 1984, it introduced the Project Management Professional Exam (PMP) and certification, which has since become one of the most prestigious and recognized credentials in the field of project management. The PMP certification is based on the PMBOK ( Project Management Body of Knowledge ) standard and is highly valued worldwide. Many companies across the globe actively seek project managers with PMP certification to lead their projects. Since it’s widely recognized, PMP holds significant global credibility.
Utilizing project management knowledge in real-world situations poses various challenges for project managers and project stakeholders. Many individuals with experience in management and executive roles seek a certification to validate their expertise. The PMP exam is one of the most reputable options for proving project management proficiency. Whether you’re in search of hiring a top-performing project manager or aspire to showcase your skills on an international scale as a project manager, PMP certification is of great importance.
In addition to the PMP certification,
PMI offers various other certifications that cater to specific areas within the field of project management:
- Program Management Professional (PGMP): Focuses on program management.
- Portfolio Management Professional (PFMP): Specializes in portfolio management.
- Risk Management Professional (PMI-RMP): Emphasizes risk management.
- Scheduling Professional (PMI-SP): Concentrates on scheduling and planning.
- Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM): Suitable for project management assistants.
- Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP): Centers around agile project management.
- Professional in Business Analysis (PMI-PBA): Focuses on business analysis.
By pursuing one of these certifications from PMI, you can further enhance your project management knowledge and skills, and potentially open up more career opportunities. If you have any specific questions or need additional information about the PMP exam or any of the other PMI certifications, please feel free to ask. Additionally, if you want to know more about preparing for the PMP exam in your organization, We’ll be glad to assist further.
When you’re first introduced to the concept of PMP, you may have some questions that need answers:
1. Why should we aspire to get a Project Management Professional Exam and certificate?
As mentioned, PMP is the most prestigious management credential globally recognized. It enables you to overcome challenges by connecting and sharing with other professional project managers, making it a strong motivation for both students and managers.
2. What advantages do individuals gain by earning PMP certification?
By aligning themselves with other PMP managers, they gain additional insights and their knowledge becomes more visible to other organization managers.
3. In which types of organizations and roles does PMP certification find applicability?
This certification is widely recognized and relevant across various organizations and job domains, making it an international and global credential. Those who earn it acquire significant knowledge in enhancing work performance and operational efficiency. The reason behind its popularity among project managers is that it’s the most valuable and does not solely rely on an individual’s knowledge and experience.
4. What are the initial conditions for Project Management Professional Exam eligibility?
For individuals without a bachelor’s degree or higher, they need 5 years of work experience (7500 hours of relevant work). If they have a bachelor’s degree or higher, they must have 3 years of work experience (4500 hours of work) with project management duties. Additionally, every applicant must complete 35 hours of formal education from PMI’s Registered Education Providers.
5. In which languages is the Project Management Professional Exam offered?
The Project Management Professional Exam is available in five languages: English, Arabic, French, German, and Chinese. Proficiency in English is crucial for understanding the exam content thoroughly.
6. What’s a key point to remember for this exam?
Always bear in mind that the project manager’s talent triangle consists of three essential skill areas:
- Technical skills
- Leadership skills
- Strategic business management skills
Before preparing for the exam, enhance your proficiency in all three aspects of this talent triangle.
7. What are the primary exam resources?
The two primary exam resources are the PMBOK (Project Management Body of Knowledge) and Rita’s book, both of which are essential to master. Other books, such as Head First and more, exist but are considered of lesser importance compared to the PMBOK and Rita’s book.
8. What is the format of the PMP exam?
The PMP exam is a 4-hour test, and you are required to answer 200 questions. Out of these, 25 questions are not scored, and you won’t be able to distinguish which questions are unscored. Typically, there are around 70 to 80 questions from the first knowledge area, Project Integration Management, and the rest are distributed across the other knowledge areas.
In total, you’ll have approximately 20 questions on average from each of the 4-6 knowledge areas. If you have a complete command of these sections, you have an 80% chance of passing the exam.
Please note that passing the PMP exam requires a thorough understanding of the PMBOK and relevant study materials, as well as extensive preparation.
9. How to Prepare for the Project Management Professional Exam ?
· Step 1: The initial requirement for taking the Project Management Professional Exam is to obtain approval from a Registered Education Provider (REP) certified by PMI. You must have a mentor who can grant you access to the exam.
· Step 2: Your mentor will instruct you on the PMBOK standard, and you’ll need to commit to learning this knowledge base thoroughly.
· Step 3: After comprehensive PMBOK training, a PMP exam preparation class is held, typically following the Rita book for guidance.
· Final Step: You should study consistently for a minimum of three months, devoting at least 5 hours per day, which equates to 450 hours of study in total. This rigorous preparation is essential to be well-prepared for the exam.
Participating in PMBOK training courses is mandatory. The cost of these courses varies, with prices ranging from $980 outside of Iran to approximately 1,200,000 to 4,000,000 Iranian rials in Iran.
10. How Can You Register for the PMP Exam?
Due to the prevalence of the COVID-19 pandemic, PMI has introduced the option of taking the PMP exam online. The online PMP exam is nearly identical to the in-person exam but includes a remote proctor. You can take the online PMP exam at any time of day.
Since the registration process requires a high level of attention and might be challenging, it’s advisable to seek assistance from your mentor to register for the exam. The equipment required includes a computer with a webcam and a stable internet connection.
Top of Form
· Step 1: Start by creating a PMI account on the PMI website. This account costs $120. Note that you can take the exam without creating an account, but it’s recommended to create a personal account. This account will reduce your exam fee to $405 and grant you access to all PMI resources. If you skip creating an account and directly register for the exam, the fee will be $555, and you won’t have access to PMI resources. Therefore, it’s better to create an account initially.
· Step 2: Provide your personal details. Ensure that the name you enter matches your passport because you won’t be allowed to enter the exam center if there is a discrepancy between your name and your passport. Be extremely careful when entering your information.
· Step 3: You’ll need to enter your Educational Form, a number provided by your REP mentor. This form includes your educational background and work history. Be sure not to copy-paste your work history details, as PMI’s search engines may detect similarities between job descriptions. Carefully describe your own experiences and responsibilities. Note that when you enter your work history, PMI will also collect the names of your supervisors and coworkers, so avoid providing false information.
· Step 4: Enter your financial information. Use the code you received when you purchased your account to waive any additional payment.
· Step 5: Finally, select the “Send” option to submit your application. PMI will review your application within 3 to 15 days. If PMI suspects that you’ve provided inaccurate information during the education review or if they question the authenticity of your job descriptions, they may audit your application. If audited, you will be required to submit proof of your educational qualifications and work experience. This process involves taking your documents to an authorized translation office, obtaining a judicial certification stamp from the Iranian judicial authorities, and mailing your documents to the United States (typically costing between $100 and $150). If your application is audited, it will be canceled, so you’ll need to create a new application after completing the audit process.
that PMI periodically changes its application and audit processes, so it’s essential to follow their most up-to-date guidelines. Additionally, the cost for taking the PMP exam may have changed since my knowledge cutoff date in September 2021, so it’s advised to verify the current fees on the PMI website.
Here’s the translated and optimized content with explanations:
You might wonder why PMI needs to invalidate your initial application and require you to reapply?
Every person can’t submit their application to PMI more than three times in a year, and if your application is rejected three times, you’ll be barred from applying for up to three years.
So, by invalidating your application, it reminds you of the remaining opportunities.
Here are the key points you provided:
1. Currently, there are over 1,000,000 PMP-certified professionals worldwide.
2. On the day of the exam, make sure to arrive at the test center in your chosen exam domain at least 30 minutes before the exam’s scheduled start time.
3. If you intend to change your exam date more than one month in advance, you can do so for free. However, if you wish to change your exam date within one month of the scheduled date, there is a $70 fee.
4. Please note that if you do not change your exam date and fail to attend the exam, you will forfeit all exam fees.
5. If you arrive late or fail to show up at the exam center on time, you will not be allowed to enter the exam session, and your fees will be lost.
6. Once you successfully obtain the PMP certification, remember that you must annually pay $120 for your PMI account.
7. Every three years after earning your PMP certification, you must pay $120 to PMI.
8. From the moment you receive your PMP certification, you have three years to earn and submit 60 PDUs (Professional Development Units) to PMI. Be cautious, as failing to do so could lead to the invalidation of your certification.
9. If you take the PMP exam for the first time and do not pass, for a re-examination, you need to pay only $250. Keep in mind that you are allowed a maximum of three attempts at the exam.
Topic: Project Management Professional Exam Guide ( PMP )